Thursday, March 10, 2011

To homeschool or not to homeschool

A recent post of mine on facebook has stirred up a bit of controversy. The subject: to homeschool or not to homeschool. Here are some statements that I found thought provoking.

*it is our responsibility as parents to educate our children.
*at the end of the day, every child is different and they all have different learning styles and that must be paramount in the decision
* there has been no separation between being a teacher and a mother so I would hope I have been good at both
*I don't believe any one educational choice is best for every person/mom/kid. I think it's personal and individual for each... family/kid/mom.


First thank you all who openly shared your thoughts on the matter! There was much heart felt thoughts coming from both sides. You may wonder where I stand on this issue. Here it is.

I truly want what is best for my child someday. I want to create a healthy and benaficial environment for my child to grow academically as well as emotionally/spiritually. That being said, some of my readers my assume I will be homeschooling from preschool to the 12th grade! Not necessarily so.

Here is my "dream" school situation for my children. To find a small Christian school where they can be well trained in the academics. True, there will be influences of other children that I won't have control over. However, if at any time I find that a school influence is pulling my child down, I would have no problem pulling that child out to homeschool or find another school. Each child's needs will be different.

Why do I not wish to homeschool? Frankly, I wish to be a mother, not a mother and a school teacher. I want to enjoy spending time with my kids and for them to enjoy time with me.

**Edit on my reasons (which were posted while high with fever:))
I believe that the relationship with a child is foremost important and that for some, homeschooling would only make that relationship suffer. Before homeschooling each mom needs to really evaluate if she is capable to homeschool based on her academically ability, physically ability, and emotionally stabilty. I for one am not the healthiest (physical) on the planet.

I think its time for homeschoolers to think outside the box. Its not wrong to NOT homeschool. Sometimes the best decision for the well being of a child is to NOT homeschool :)

1 comment:

Roxy Girl said...

Wow I love this post!! I agree 100%
I too would love to have a small christian school for my children to go to and maybe be able to help out. But if not I think I would homeschool, but like you said it's not wrong to not homeschool!! Thanks for posting this! :)