Friday, March 25, 2011

A Love Poem

I am the proud family keeper of 2 of my great great grandpa's Civil War diaries. They are brimming with tales of the dangers of living at sea and the love he felt towards his fiance - often written in poetic nature. Here's is one of my favorites written about his fiance while they were an ocean apart with no hope of when they would see each other again. *note, this woman was not my grandma. The fiance died unexpectedly, shortly after this poem was sent to her.


There is a heart, a faithful heart
That throbs for thee alone
A heart that beats with fairest love
Tould beat against thine own.
No arrow, winged from Cupid's bow
Ere pierced my vital part
No has another image found
Its center in my heart

Now had I wings I'd rise at once
And flee though far away
To cheer thee in thy loneliness
And never go astray
For thou enshrines within my heart
Hast solely sovereign power
I am thy slave and still must be
Until my latest hour

Though absence part us for awhile
And distance lies between
Believe whoever may revile
I'm still what I have been
For to my dying day my heart
Thro every fate will be
If doome'd till then to mourn apart
Unchanging still to thee

2 comments:

Mrs. M said...

How beautiful. You are so lucky to have these items!

Emily S said...

Yes! They are treasured. I'm in the process of recording the diaries on paper and then might consider getting them sealed. They are in fair condition now, but I want to make sure they are still readable in 100 years for my great grandkids :)

This poem is quite ironic, how he talk about perhaps never seeing each other again and having to love through death, - and then she died just months after this.